Our sub-membership has been an option for several years. This membership option is for the musicians in a choir or ensemble that already has a full membership. For just $10 a year (less than 3¢ a day!), it provides these musicians with their own user ID giving them access to all the online resources and benefits available at our member only site, HandbellMembers.org.
HandbellMembers.org was introduced last year and includes a wealth of content including the online edition of this journal. Have you taken time to explore this resource? Here are just a few of the other things you will find:
- Overtones supplemental material available online only. For example, to support the Tips & Tools offering included in our last issue, the online version included a downloadable PDF of the music, a recording of the piece, and a video demonstrating how to execute the singing bell technique. Each online issue includes supplemental material not included in the print edition.
- Our brand-new section, Member Extras: ‘Specially for Ringers. This area contains fun activities, articles, tips and other resources created with ringers in mind. Visit that section now and you will find a Sight Reading Checklist that can be printed and added to a music folder, a music sudoku puzzle, instructions for tie-dying your gloves, and Facebook covers for handbell geeks, among other things. New items will be added regularly, so keep checking for new content.
- Our extensive Resource Library which offers targeted articles and handbooks on specific topics for community groups, music educators, and church musicians. Here are some examples:
- Creating Your Handbell Musician’s Workbook
- The Challenge of Selecting Ringers; Auditions for Community Groups
- Handchime Curriculum for Schools
- Lesson Plan: Improvisation with Handchimes
- Care and Feeding of Youth Handbell Choirs
- Bell Trees
- Pastoral Care of Ringers
- Archives of our MemberChats and MemberNotes. Review video/audio recordings of past MemberChats on topics such as Common Handbell Injuries, Concerns and Complaints, The College Ring-In Experience, Transforming Your Community Ensemble, Efficient and Effective Rehearsals and much more. Our MemberNotes are more in-depth articles on single topics including Using YouTube Effectively, More than Just Ringing — Supporting People and Communities, Copyright & You.
Resources are being added regularly, adding value to your membership and more opportunities for your choir members to grow as handbell musicians. A sub-membership for your ringers will make them more likely to continue ringing and become productive members of your choir. A sub-membership is an excellent way to show appreciation for a ringer’s dedication.
Adding sub-memberships is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Login to your member account at Handbellmusicians.org. Note: You must have an organizational group membership. If you need to change your membership category, please contact your Regional Membership Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Select My Membership/Renew from the “What would you like to do” drop down box.
- Scroll down to find the section headed “Additional Sub Members & Memberships.”
- Click “Add” next to contacts to add your ringer’s names and contact information.
- Once all your ringers have been added, check the box next to their name and click “Join” next to Sub Membership.
- Follow the prompts to add and pay for memberships.
Once complete, your ringers will receive a welcome email giving them instructions for setting up their user id and details about how to access the resources available to them.
When it’s time to renew, your ringers can either renew their membership themselves, or you can renew all with your primary membership. Simply login in to your account, scroll down to the sub member section, select the memberships you wish to renew, and click “Renew”.
If your ringers already have accounts in our system, please contact your Regional Membership Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance in adding them as contacts to your organization’s account. Using the above process will create new accounts for each contact you add.
Add sub memberships today for your choir. It’s a wonderful way to support Handbell Musicians of America while also supporting your ringers.
Jenny Cauhorn email@example.com